Wednesday 8 May 2013

Musical Musing

I'm continually fascinated with my attitude towards music, so much of it has been associated with an ideology like Punk, or developed a rivalry; the rock kids vs. the rap kids. Now that I'm older and ultimately wiser (allegedly) I have given all this up and I simply listen to whatever I like, whatever the genre or influence. Like this!

The Cat Empire - Brighter Than Gold



This next song shot me back to being eleven or twelve, constantly trading seats in front of the computer as my friend and I tried to collect all the letters to make up the word SKATE, this was my first introduction to Tony Hawks Pro Skater.

Millencolin - No Cigar



And this has opened a can of worms; most of my teenage music comes down to one man. Tony Hawks, not the comedian who hitchhiked round Ireland with a fridge,  but the first man to land a 900 on a skateboard, The Birdman.

Not happy with his already legendary status he gets other amazing athletes to join in and invent the next most awesome olympic sport, skateboarding doubles...



I suppose in reality it was the gaming franchise that dominated the minds of young teenagers the world over and for that we have to thank Neversoft, a company that made thousands of teenagers cheer with enjoyment as we saw the new way in which their logo grotesquely imprinted itself in our memories forever.



And now thanks to YouTube you can watch them all here. They are even immortalised in the world of Call of Duty and teenager's call-signs all over the world.

Next song on the YouTube-Memory-Lane-Spectacular?

Goldfinger - Superman



The list goes on and on, ollieing from one game to the next, my musical development crafted by a computer game. I love how simple it is to invoke those memories, the frustration as you tried to complete challenges, and the sheer joy as you succeeded. The contrast between these joypad-hurling moments and the moments where tears of relief stream down your face is genuinely one of the reasons I play video-games... perhaps that isn't too healthy, it did after all lead on to this...

CKY - 96 Quite Bitter Beings


The world of CKY videos, Jackass, and eventually the brutal Welsh equivalent Dirty Sanchez (really, really NSFW). I suppose it was the true rise of fame-for-idiocy, but then You've Been Framed was always far too tame anyway.

Perhaps it is a little worrying that I was so clearly influenced by product placement. but then again it's also nice to be able to relive those memories via the simplicity of YouTube suggestions, and now I'm lost in a haze of nostalgia... OK, playlist's finished, I think I'm done now.

No comments:

Post a Comment